How to Pick the Best Pentair Pool Pump
Pool maintenance is very crucial but most people don’t give it the seriousness it deserves. It’s only through proper maintenance that your pool will remain usable. Ignore your pool maintenance tasks and your entire investment on it will go down the drain. It’s as simple as that.
At the core of every pool maintenance task is a pool pump. This is the gadget that draws water from the pool, pushes it through the filtration system, heater and other units where the water is cleaned and warmed up before it is finally returned into the pool. The clean water won’t just make the pool hygienic but it’ll also make it superb to look at. That’s pretty much every pool owner’s dream.
When discussing pool pumps a few companies have to pop up and Pentair is one of them. Pentair has been in this industry for quite some time now. They have a decent reputation for making some really incredible pool accessories. One of their successful product categories is pool pumps. Pentair has quite a number of pool pumps in the market today. We have to admit that not all of them are that good but they do have some outstanding ones. In today’s guide, we will be discussing some of the best Pentair pool pumps available at the moment. But before all that, let’s first give you a quick run on some of the things that you need to look out for when shopping for a pool pump.
Pool Pump Buying Guide
Consider the following factors before splashing your cash on any pool pump;
- Pool Size – Your pool size should inform your decision when buying a pool pump. Like you can guess, a small swimming pool is better served by a mid-sized pool pump. Such a pump won’t just keep the pool clean but it will also help in keeping energy consumption within a reasonable range. On the other hand, a big pool pump is required to handle the huge capacity of big pools efficiently.
- Noise Output – You’ll never value the calmness of a quiet backyard until you end up with a noisy pool pump. It’s vital that you consider the noise output of all pool pumps before you decide to purchase them. Check out the rating and user reviews on the same.
- Saltwater compatibility – If you use salt water in disinfecting your pool, you’ll need to check whether the pool pump you’re buying can work with the water otherwise you will end up with useless equipment.
- Frequency of using the pool – You’re better off with a standard pump if you usually open your pool during summer and shut it until the next summer. Meanwhile, commercial swimming pools and others which operate throughout the year require a more advanced and variable-speed pump that can meet the huge demands of such pools.
- For the sake of long-term performance, you may want to invest in a self-priming pump that is normally designed with a pre-filter.
Top 3 Pentair Pool Pumps
Pentair 340039 SuperFlo High-Performance Single Speed Pool Pump
The Pentair 340039 is one of the few single speed pool pumps that tick all the boxes as far as performance and efficiency are concerned. Not only is this pump so effective in its duties, but it is also incredibly quiet. This allows you to perform all your pool maintenance tasks without interfering with your home surrounding. This has been achieved by the integration of advanced technology. It’s also through this tech that the pump has managed to remain reliable even under the most challenging of conditions.
The pump features a thick body and durable motors. These are engineered for more than just the basic functions of a typical pool pump. They will handle intensive cleaning and the heavy-duty construction makes sure that you will get full value for your money for a very long time.
The Pentair 340039 is also fitted with an industrial size strainer. This will make your work easy as it reduces the frequency of cleaning it. The transparent lid also makes it very easy to inspect the interiors. You will also love the quick and easy startup of this pump thanks to its self-priming capability.
- The hydraulic design makes it extremely quiet
- It works with different types of cleaning systems
- It is very easy to operate
- The motor is energy efficient
- Cleaning the inside of the filter basket may prove challenging since it narrows towards the end.
Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High-Performance Pool Pump
The Pentair 011018 is a very popular pool pump and there are good reasons behind it. First of all, it’s a variable speed pump which means that you will have full control over the speed at which it operates. This means that it can work with almost all pool types and sizes with ease. Ultimately, the energy consumption of the pump is mostly left at the hands of the pool owner who’s controlling the speed of the pump.
While on the subject of energy consumption, it’s vital we mention that this pump can help you save up to 90% in energy consumption! Yes, that’s an insane figure and it’s perhaps one of the few features that make it stand out from the rest of the pumps available today.
Its energy efficiency has been achieved in various ways; First, the pump is designed with advanced technology that allows it to save on energy without affecting its performance. Secondly, users will be in a position to choose between eight different programmable speed settings. These make it easier to select a speed that is appropriate for their pool size and type. When compared to traditional pool pumps with a single speed setting, the Pentair speed flexibility proves to be very efficient and cost-effective.
Another reason to love the Pentair 011018 is its compatibility with numerous pool and spas systems. You can use this pump with Intellitouch, SunTouch and EasyTouch Pool control systems. Therefore, the pump will make life in your unique spa and pool convenient and effortless. Pentair 011018 can also be integrated with spa jets, lighting and heating systems, and other water features for the ultimate pool/spa experience.
- It has 8-speed settings
- It is fitted with an inbuilt timer to improve energy efficiency
- Powerful motors
- The fan is protected against most external factors
- It feels bulky
Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump
It’s not every day that you come across a variable speed pool pump that can run on either 115V or 230V power. In most cases, pool owners are usually forced to do costly and tedious rewiring to get their pool pumps running. The Pentair 342001 will easily work with most existing wiring systems and its accessible wiring compartment will make your connection work quick and simple.
Apart from easy installation, the Pentair 342001 is also very easy to use. The unit features a digital control display which allows you to access and customize the various functions of the pump with ease.
The Pentair 342001 has three-speed settings but surprisingly, the most interesting bit here is its automatic shut off ability. Through this feature, the pump will switch from one speed to another should it detect that the speed selected is higher than necessary. This will go a long way towards keeping your energy bills low.
- It is very power efficient
- It works quietly
- Easy to install and use
- It’s compatible with most domestic voltage ratings
- It comes with three-speed options
- It’s quite heavy
- It takes quite some time to prime
With the above information, you don’t just know the best Pentair pool pumps in the market at the moment, but you also understand what exactly makes them great. The brief buying guide should also prove very useful should you decide to compare the pumps against other brands. All in all, we believe that you’re now in a better position to make an informed decision when shopping for a pump.