The complete guide to Pool Timers
If you need to shop for a pool timer, then we’ve got you covered. To help you figure out which pool timer is right for you, we have assembled our picks for the 4 best pool timers currently available. These are tools that will help you to enjoy everything swimming pools have to offer. After all, when it comes to making the most of your swimming pool, ongoing maintenance is going to be absolutely essential. This is going to include day-to-day maintenance, particularly during pool season, as well as monthly and yearly demands. For many people, keeping up with these chores and challenges can be difficult. This is particularly true if you don’t have anything to help you keep track of how your pool is doing.
That is where a swimming pool timer will prove to be absolutely essential. Not only does a swimming pool timer help you to keep track of everything, but it also tells you in no uncertain terms if your pool performance is optimal. It can even show you where your pool usage falls in the spectrum of your general electricity needs. If your power bill suddenly skyrockets, a problem with your swimming pool might just be the issue.
Naturally, you will want to buy the best possible timer for your needs and background. To that particular end, we have come up with the 4 best pool timers currently being offered. These come from reliable manufacturers, and they each offer a peerless reputation for delivering results. At that point, it should be easy to find one that will suit your swimming pool in flawless fashion.
What Is A Swimming Pool Timer Exactly?
If you can’t be home to check your pool’s equipment as needed, you’re going to run into problems. An automatic/mechanical timer is the perfect solution. In this day and age, not only can you find timers that will give you all the information you need, as well as the ability to manage your swimming pool’s various settings, but you can even find products that can be programmed to take care of everything for you. These benefits and others will be emphasized nicely in our list of the top four pool timers.
Timers can do so much these days. Some pool timers can be used to turn your heater and pump on and off as warranted. You can switch between speeds on your pump, regardless of the specific pump you purchase. It is even possible with some timers to take advantage of what is known as freeze protection. This is a setting that will shut down your swimming pool’s system, should the temperature reach a certain point.
Figuring out the type of pool timer that is right for you will come down to a handful of considerations. For instance, it will be extremely helpful to ask yourself what you will need from a timer before you actually begin to shop around for one. Do you want something bare-bones, meaning something that will simply turn your pump on and off? Do you want any of the features we have covered so far? Do you think you would prefer to have them all? If you don’t want to spend a lot of money, then you will naturally want to focus on straightforward timers that will allow you to manually turn certain components on and off. If you want something more elaborate than that, you will naturally find smart products and other possibilities to consider. Our advice would be to invest in your lifestyle. In other words, focus on timers that are well-suited to what you know you’re going to need.
As you define those needs, consider our picks for the 4 best pool timers currently on the market.
1. Aube 7-Day Programmable Pool Timer (Honeywell)
Our first entry on the list is impressive, to say the least. You will want to start with the fact that we are talking about a very reliable manufacturer with one of the best reputations in the industry. When shopping for pool timers, make sure you purchase one that works with the particular specs of your swimming pool is crucial. Note the Aube 7-Day Programmable Pool Timer works with settings for both 120-volt and 240-volt systems. It also comes with a manual setting, an automatic setting, and even the option for a temporary bypass setting.
This is also an excellent swimming pool timer for outdoor swimming pools. This is highlighted by the fact that it comes in a highly-resistant water-proof case.
- Pros: Very easy to use and program. Up to fourteen different settings that can be used to set your preferences for the next seven days. A built-in battery allows you to keep things going, even in the event of a power outage. It is also remarkably easy to install.
- Cons: The lack of LED lighting can be a little frustrating, particularly if you need to make any changes to your settings in the evening. The knockouts can also prove to be a little annoying where it concerns removal.
- Price (Approx.): $85.99
2. Intermatic P1353ME Pool Pump Timer
When it comes to the best swimming pool timers on the market, we would wager Intermatic is one of the best and most well-respected around. They have been making pool timers and similar products for the past several decades. This is one of their very best, and there are a number of reasons as to why this is the case. Like our previous entry, it works for both 120-volt and 240-volt. However, that is really just the beginning of what this particular timer has to offer.
- Pros: Another timer that is very well regarded for being extremely easy to use. This is not just in terms of setting it up, but also in terms of using it to keep your swimming pool settings well under control. We also like the fact that it can be retrofitted to work with any Intermatic enclosure. In other words, if you want to upgrade an older make and model from this company, you can do so with ease. The functional LCD display, memory backup, and unique fireman switch all conspire to make this timer a powerhouse.
- Cons: Some reviewers have said the warranty for this particular product is not as robust or long-lasting as some other options. The voltage switch has also proven to be problematic for some. You will also want to note that this is one of the most expensive options out there. For some, this may be a deterrent.
- Price (Approx.): $238.19
3. GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Smart Switch Pool Timer
We were discussing the enormous potential of smart products as the concept relates to swimming pool timers. This recent release from GE is an excellent example of what we are talking about. You are also dealing with one of the top electronics manufacturers in the world. Their appliances and other products are known to offer tons of options, affordability, and an assurance that they will be able to stand the test of time. Will all of these facets apply to the Z-Wave Plus Smart Switch Pool Timer?
From landscape lighting to your spa settings, pool pump, and even your heater, this timer can help you to stay on top of everything.
- Pros: Phenomenal LED lighting, which gives you the ability to check and maintain your settings at any point in the day. This is also one of the most weather-resistant swimming pool timers we have ever seen. Wireless control of your various functions is something else we really appreciate this product.
- Cons: The radio signal, which is known as the Z-Wave, can be a little on the weak side sometimes. You will also want to keep in mind that the wireless potential of this time really only works when you’re within a fairly short range.
- Price: $160.64
4. The Intermatic PF1103T
When it comes to protecting your swimming pool or spa from freezing damage, this is one of your strongest options. We once again turn to Intermatic, which again, is one of the top manufacturers of these products to be found anywhere in the world. In fact, as far as some people are concerned, they are the best.
The timer itself is in fact freeze-resistant.
- Pros: Very easy to use, this specific timer can be programmed to run automatically. This makes setting everything to your preferences a breeze. Adjusting the settings couldn’t be easier, and we would also call this one of the most durable timbers on the market. Installation is straightforward, as well. It can be used to power both 1.5 and 3.5HP pumps.
- Cons: If you want smart features, this won’t be the timer for you.
- Price: $185.68
You should also keep in mind that we have not covered all of your options by any means. There are quite a few more timers on the market, matching your needs and budget. However, if you don’t know where to begin searching, the four listed above will definitely move you in the right direction. These are excellent timers to help you take care of your swimming pool.