How to Pick the Best Above Ground Pool Pump
A pool pump is the heart of your above ground pool. It is the gadget that ensures that you have healthy water in your pool by regularly moving it through the filter and chlorinator. Having the wrong type of pump will result in your water becoming cloudy with debris and bacteria. Correctly sizing an above ground pool is much easier as compared to sizing an in-ground pool. This means that above ground pools get more precise pumps, avoiding too many cases of customers getting the wrong type of pumps. Above ground pool pumps are gravity fed, meaning that they are below the waterline, requiring little plumbing between the suction ports. The simplicity of the type of plumbing will allow you to use the size of the pool alone to get the correct size of the pump. In the review below, we take a look at some of the top-rated above ground pool pumps.
1. Hayward SP2610X15 super pump
This pool pump is a real workhorse in the industry featuring both durability and sturdiness. Many people prefer machines and gadgets that are user-friendly because, to be honest, nobody likes to waste their time trying to figure out how a product works. The Hayward SP2610X15 is equipped with some swing way knobs that make is pretty easy to use with a removable filter that does not require any tools to dismantle. People who regularly use pool pumps will tell you that finding a pump that does not require any tools to remove the filter is priceless. It is a feature that makes the pump easy to maintain. The pump’s set up procedure is also a walkover and effortless, especially for individuals who are familiar with Hayward products. However, if you have not used any Hayward product before, you do not need to worry, it is very easy to set it up by simply following the instructions. The construction of the unit has been proven to stand the test of time. It is equipped with a 10 cubic feet basket that holds quite an impressive amount of water at each interval. It also features a motor with a 1.5 horsepower, making the unit one of a kind.
- Easy to use and maintain
- Does not require any extra tools to pull apart
- Has a water holding basket with a large capacity
- Equipped with a 1.5 horsepower motor for efficiency
- It’s noisy when in operation
- quite expensive
2. Hayward SP1593 single-speed Above ground pool Pump
The second highest-rated above ground pool pump is also a product from Hayward. This speaks a lot about the Hayward brand. Apart from being manufactured by a high profile brand, the SP1593 single speed pump also have some other quite impressive features including quality and durability. The pump is equipped with a very effective filter that does not leave any residue in the pool. The pump is, therefore, one of the bestselling products simply because of its reliability. The industrial-size strainer basket accessory on the pump collects all debris and dead bacteria from the pool, eliminating the need for regular pool maintenance. As an added perk, you do not need to clean the basket or strainer regularly and you get the options of changing the machine’s orientation to suit your desires.
The unit is also equipped with a robust, reliable and wide opening impeller specifically designed to prevent clogging of the unit by leaves and other debris. The unit also comes with a well-protected switch at the back so that it is possible to conserve energy significantly when the unit is not in operation. Its motor is enhanced with a thermal overload protector that automatically switches off the system in case of an overload alert, to avoid damage to the motor. It also restarts automatically when the danger has passed.
- Made from durable, high-quality materials
- Equipped with a strainer basket that ensures total debris sanction
- Accessorized with a robust impeller that prevents clogging of the unit
- Has a thermal overload protector that automatically switches the unit on and off in case of an impending danger alert
- It comes with an integrated drainage plug that makes the winterization process easy and pleasant.
- Single-speed pumps are not very efficient
- Uses a lot of energy while in operation
3. Hayward SP3400VSP Variable Speed Ecostar Pool Pump
There is a very impressive riding on the Hayward brand by looking at the top-rated best selling pool pumps. The Hayward SP3400VSP, in particular, is a beautifully designed which clearly shows that the manufacturer has put some considerable effort into it. In most cases, the functionality of a product is more important than its aesthetic appeal, but in the case of the Hayward Ecostar pool pump, the aesthetic appeal of the unit reflects the commitment of the manufacturer. Variable speed pool pumps are generally famed for their efficiency. They also consume very little energy, especially when in low setting mode. The system automatically varies the speed depending on the condition of the pool. In addition, the system comes with a significantly large basket capable of holding a lot of debris before the need to empty it.
- The system is beautifully designed
- It is very good at energy conservation
- Comes with a magnetic motor that does not overheat when in operation
- The unit is fully programmable making it convenient and easy to use
- Variable speed pumps are quite expensive
4. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for above ground Pools
When looking at the highest-rated above ground pool pumps, it would be a mistake not to mention this sand filter pump from the Intext brand. It has a user satisfaction rate of 4.5 stars, which is the first thing that any customer would look for in the search of reliability. The pool pump is a fairly priced multifunctional unit that gives excellent water filtration process and appealing results. The unit also backwashes the recirculated water. It comes with a strainer basket that is easy to maintain and very effective in prolonging the life of the system. There is very little maintenance required to keep this system under check, you just need to change the sand filter after 5 years.
- It is a multifunctional device that can be used to perform various tasks instead of getting an operator for each task
- Comes with an easy maintenance strainer basket that contributes to the lifetime longevity of the filter
- Has a 24-hour timer that allows the user to set the time they prefer for the system to operate in
- The pump has a capacity of holding up to 3,000 gallons of water at a go
- It’s pricing is a little bit on the higher side
Just like any other product available in the market, above ground pool pumps are very different, with each having its own uniqueness and drawbacks. However, how do you determine the most appropriate pump for your pool? Let us look at some of the factors to consider when purchasing a pool pump.
1. The Pump’s Housing mount
Depending on where the output filter is located, you will find that there are pumps with either top or side mount. A top mount fits most above ground pools but if the pump is located at the same level as your pool, then you should go for a side mount pump.
2. The motor voltage of the pump
Before purchasing a pool pump, determine the type of system utilized by your pool. This will help you know whether to get a pump that requires either 110 volts or 220 volts. For most above ground pools, the pump will require 110v motor voltage.
This refers to the power of the motor. It is the sole determinant of the strength of the motor and is one of the most crucial specifications that you should be keen on when purchasing a pump. A good pump will feature enough power for your pool size and filter.