The complete guide to Above Ground Pool Cleaners
Your above ground swimming pool can be a blast for everyone in your household. This is particularly true when you take above ground pool maintenance seriously. To that end, we have assembled the 3 best above ground pool cleaners on the market.
Taking care of your above ground pool can be time-consuming and physically demanding. However, this is really only true if you are cleaning your pool in an old-fashioned way. That is to say if you are cleaning your pool by hand. In terms of robot pool cleaners alone, you’re going to find yourself with a wealth of options from some of the top electronics manufacturers. This includes companies that produce the best in pool hardware and accessories for all pools, budgets, and demands. Cleaning your pool is naturally essential, in order to enjoy it from one season to the next. Investing now in an affordable pool cleaner is a great way to avoid costly repairs and cleaning work later on.
Regardless of the specific type of swimming pool you own, remember: Simple, ongoing maintenance in the present can save you a lot of headaches in the future. At the same time, we understand that you perhaps have only but so much time to devote to pool maintenance and care. Any one of the 3 above ground pool cleaners we will highlight today can help you to meet your pool’s needs but at a fraction of the time required to do this.
1. Dolphin Escape Robotic Above Ground Pool Cleaner
One of the heavyweights in the universe of above ground pool cleaners would have to be Dolphin. For a long time indeed, the company has been turning out exceptional products to help pool owners take care of their property. The Dolphin Escape Robotic Above Ground Pool Cleaner is an exceptional example of this thought. It easily finds a place on our list of the 3 best above ground pool cleaners.
The price tag for this device falls somewhere in the mid-range. Keeping that thought in mind, the product has a pretty good range of features for what you’re paying. There are even more advanced, and costlier, options on the market. However, if you are looking for something straightforward, yet offering a deep inventory of useful features, the Escape is a great place to start.
- Additional Features: A low-voltage DC motor, which utilizes considerably less power than many other cleaners currently available. Despite being a fairly sleek model, the included cartridge for debris is one of the largest you are going to find anywhere. You will also want to keep in mind that the Dolphin Escape can do much more than just vacuum.
- Pros: Extremely easy-to-use. It also benefits from being a better-than-average cleaner on almost every front. Despite a price tag that might strike the uninitiated as hefty, this is really one of the more affordable options available to you, in terms of price and features. This is a very good cleaner for both the walls and floor of your above ground swimming pool. The cleaner is also backed by a strong 1-year warranty.
- Cons: The only downside to this product that we can really think of is the fact that it struggles with certain pieces of debris. Also, again, if you’ve already spent a ton of money on a new above-ground pool and deck, dropping nearly 600 dollars for a cleaner can leave you feeling a bit overwhelmed.
- Price (Approx.): $599.00
Overall, this is an ideal cleaner for those who don’t want to get a completely bare-bones model (because then what’s really the point?), but who also want to at least try and get something in the range of affordable. Released in 2016, the Dolphin Escape Robotic Above Ground Pool Cleaner has been very popular among its owners. It stands to reason that this is a pool cleaner you will be able to rely on for a long time to come.
2. Zodiac Ranger Above-Ground Pool Cleaner
The Zodiac Ranger Above-Ground Pool Cleaner brings a lot to the table. This suction-side automatic pool cleaner has emerged from a very crowded field of contenders to become one of the most popular above-ground pool cleaners on the market. This is another reasonably-priced model that brings a number of essential features to your pool maintenance. Taking care of your above ground swimming pool is about to get a good deal easier if the reviews of this impressive product are to be believed.
For example, the flow-keeper valve makes it easy to control your flow of water. This is an excellent cleaner for removing things like leaves, chunks of dirt, and even pebbles. Thanks to the valve we mentioned, you won’t have to attach anything extra, in order to properly clean the floor of your pool. This is a one-size-fits-most product that also benefits from not having any moving parts. The only exception to this is the diaphragm. In other words, you’re getting a cleaner that isn’t going to make a ton of noise either.
After connecting directly and easily to your skimmer system and pool pump system, you can use the thirty-two-foot feed hose to give your above ground swimming pool the thorough cleaning it deserves.
- Additional Features: Everything associated with this product has been designed specifically for the treatment and cleaning of above-ground swimming pools. The 45-degree elbow allows for a great deal of flexibility and smooth movement while you’re cleaning. You will also want to keep in mind that this cleaner can work with just about any size of the filter pump available to you. The ideal pump size, however, seems to be between 1-1.5HP. Although it is particularly designed to work with hard-sided above-ground pools, it can work with vinyl lining, as well. Special care should be taken, if you choose to use it for this purpose.
- Pros: The 32-foot cord is definitely one of our favorite things about this particular cleaner. It is as comfortable to use for cleaning as it is efficient in this task. We also appreciate the fact that the price tag is at least a few hundred dollars lower than the cleaner we spotlighted above. This is also a fairly straightforward cleaner. Not only in terms of installation but when it comes time to use the cleaner, as well. Just make sure to read the instructions beforehand!
- Cons: The filter for this cleaner is fine, but it does require a little more cleaning out than other options. It also struggles somewhat with ladders, as well as large pieces of debris.
- Price (Approx.): $139.99
This is a very good cleaner for a cost-effective crowd. It doesn’t have everything, but it has more than enough to justify your consideration.
3. Hayward Above ground pool cleaner
Robotic pool cleaners are all the rage these days. To be sure, when you find a great example of one of these types of pool cleaners, you’ve got an efficient, time-saving way to keep your pool properly maintained. The Smartpool SmartKleen is another robotic cleaner that promises to work wonders for every type of swimming pool under the sun.
Does it deliver on that promise? It certainly seems so. Intelligence in these robotic vacuums is a big deal. To that particular end, the NC22 seems to take its design and functionality cues from the Roomba, but with a specific focus on cleaning swimming pools. You will also want to keep in mind that this cleaner seems to work well with all the different materials that are used to create above and in-ground swimming pools.
- Additional Features: The overall design is decidedly lightweight, yet durable enough to handle most cleaning jobs. The cleaner also promises to be effective against all flooring types. Believe it or not, but this even includes fiberglass. The quick-drain function, combined with its intelligent navigational capabilities, emphasizes a cleaner that is easy to use in every possible way.
- Pros: The motor connected with this cleaner is one of the strongest we’ve ever seen, particularly in this price range. The quick drain system makes cleaning the cleaner itself a breeze. The automatic shut-off function also ensures an energy-efficient product. Very easy to store when finished, as well.
- Cons: May require supervision during its first couple of cleaning sessions. Some users have indicated that it did not clean enough to their satisfaction. Getting parts for this cleaner may prove difficult, as the company isn’t as widely available as others.
- Price (Approx.): $400
This is one of the most affordable robotic cleaners you will find. Reviews are mostly positive, but some have taken serious issue with its overall efficiency. Do plenty of research, beyond what we have discussed in this article.
Remember that we have only covered three above-ground pool cleaners here. There are in fact, many other contenders that could very easily have found a place here. The above three are widely considered to be some of the best you can find. If you don’t know where to begin, we would strongly suggest starting with our picks for the 3 best above ground pool cleaners.